That’s it. Every other piece of her colourful, original outfits she bought in the same kinds of places where she shops back home: thrift stores and flea markets.
Recycled chic not only makes environmental good sense to Jessie. It has also taught her some lessons worth sharing:
- “You do not have to spend a lot of money to look great.
- “Colour is powerful. It is almost physiologically impossible to be in a bad mood when you’re wearing bright red pants.
- “Fitting in is way over-rated.
- “Embrace your inner child.
- “Confidence is key....If you believe you’re a beautiful person inside and out, there is no look that you can’t pull off.
- “Gold sequins go with everything.
- “Developing your own unique, personal style is a really great way to tell the world something about you without having to say a word.”
Jessie had another lesson for the audience. It wasn’t just her closing comment about not being emotionally attached to things and planning to donate back her new outfits. What Jessie showed the audience was the vibrant energy that comes from someone comfortable in her own skin, someone who walks right up to life and shakes its hand.
We all have that vibrant energy when we’re being ourselves and doing whatever it is that sets our souls on fire.